St. Helena Cemetery History
Mr. William Hudson established this private family cemetery in 1856 with the burial of his wife Sarah Hudson. In 1872, daughter Mary Hudson McCormick, donated the original six acres for the purpose of a town cemetery. After a notice was posted in the local newspaper, the St. Helena Starr, citizens met at the town hall intending to form a cemetery association. On April 6, 1872, the election of a president, officers and board of trustees started the operation of Saint Helena Public Cemetery. The non-profit incorporation soon followed. After many years of donations and purchases, the cemetery property has grown to a beautiful 25 acres.
Interestingly little known facts:
In 1956 the Secretary for the Association suggested to the Napa County Supervisors that the county purchase 2.022 acres adjacent to the cemetery for the purpose of indigent burials. The County Supervisors agreed. From 1956 to present, approximately 820 indigent burials were done in this section; 466 of these burials were from the Napa State Hospital. Today, the Saint Helena Cemetery is still responsible for the respectful burials of all Napa County indigent persons.
Today the Association works diligently to meet the needs of the future while maintaining the integrity of the past. The Board of Trustees consists of nine community members who meet quarterly to discuss the business and vision of the cemetery. Daily operational needs are met through one office manager, a grounds foreman and two grounds keepers. Each individual on this team takes great pride in maintaining the past, present and future of this historic landmark.
2461 Spring Street, St. Helena, CA 94574, 707.963.3544, firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright© 2009 - 2016 Saint Helena Cemetery Association. All Rights Reserved